What will I learn?
In the first year you’ll gain a solid foundation in animal science and husbandry before selecting a pathway for your second year. You’ll also have the opportunity to attend residential study tours both in the UK and South Africa. Working with wild animals – whether tracking rhinoceros or working on large cat breeding programmes – gives Sparsholt students an unforgettable experience, as well as valuable industry contacts.
Year 1 – Advanced Technical Diploma in Animal Management. Year 2 – Advanced Technical Extended Diploma in Animal Management (1080)
• Practical animal handling and behaviour with dogs, avian and other exotic species
• Health and nutrition
• Breeding and welfare
• Biology and anatomy
• Exotic and zoo husbandry
• Conservation and wildlife rehabilitation
• Nursing, aquatics, equine and farm livestock
• Specialist science units for veterinary science progression
What grades will I need?
Five GCSEs including Science, with Maths and English at grade C/4 or Level 2 in Animal Care at Merit Level.
What can I study next?
• Animal Science, Behaviour and Conservation at FdSc or BSc level
• Apprenticeship in Veterinary Nursing or Animal Care
• Veterinary and Bio-Veterinary Sciences
• Veterinary nurse or assistant
• Pet retail including specialist outlets
• Kennels and catteries
• Grooming and hydrotherapy
• Animal rescue centres (wild and domestic)
• Animal training and behaviour
• Keeper or Education Officer in animal collections
• Conservation work