What will I learn?
In the first year you’ll gain a solid foundation in animal science and husbandry before selecting a pathway for your second year. We immerse you in the world of animal studies with a host of industry guests and speakers, as well as visits to zoological parks and specialist veterinary and conservation centres. You’ll also have the opportunity to attend residential study tours both in the UK and South Africa. Working with wild animals, whether tracking rhinoceros or working on large cat breeding programmes, gives Sparsholt students an unforgettable experience, as well as valuable industry contacts.
• Practical animal handling and behaviour with dogs, avian and other exotic species
• Health and nutrition
• Breeding and welfare
• Biology and anatomy
• Exotic and zoo husbandry
• Conservation and wildlife rehabilitation
• Nursing, aquatics, equine and farm livestock
• Specialist science units for veterinary science progression
What grades will I need?
Five GCSEs including Science, with Maths and English at grade C/4 or Level 2 in Animal Care at Merit level.
Where will it lead me?
• Animal Science, Behaviour and Conservation at FdSc or BSc level
• Apprenticeship in Veterinary Nursing
• Veterinary and Bio-Veterinary Sciences
• Veterinary Nurse or Assistant
• Pet retail including specialist outlets
• Kennels and catteries
• Grooming and hydrotherapy
• Animal rescue centres (wild and domestic)
• Animal training and behaviour
• Keepers or Education Officers in animal collections
• Conservation work