What will I learn?
In the first year you’ll gain a solid foundation in animal science and husbandry and then in the second year you’ll select a pathway in zoo work, veterinary health or welfare. You’ll also have the opportunity to attend residential study tours both in the UK and South Africa, giving you the chance to work with wild animals as well as making valuable industry contacts.
Year 1 – Advanced Technical Certificate in Animal Management. Year 2 – Advanced Technical Extended Diploma in Animal Management (720)
• Practical animal handling and behaviour with dogs, avian and other exotic species
• Health and nutrition
• Accommodation and feeding
• Breeding and welfare
• Biology and anatomy
• Specialist units in exotic animals and/or nursing
What grades will I need?
Five GCSEs at Grade C/4 including Science, Maths and English
What can I study next?
• FdSc in Animal Management
• Apprenticeship in Veterinary Nursing or Animal Care
• Veterinary Nurse or Assistant
• Pet retail including specialist outlets
• Kennels and catteries
• Grooming and hydrotherapy
• Animal rescue centres (wild and domestic)
• Animal training and behaviour
• Keeper or Education Officer in animal collections