What will I learn?
You’ll perfect your skills in our extremely well equipped on-site arboriculture and forestry department, as well as a variety of local off-site facilities, from a private arboretum to Forestry Commission woodland and the New Forest. You’ll also have the opportunity to climb and measure some of the tallest trees in England!
• Principles of plant and soil science
• Tree and shrub pruning and maintenance
• Tree felling and chainsaw use
• Arboricultural skills
• Tree identification
• Pests and diseases of trees
• Advanced arboricultural practices
• Tree surveys and inspections
• Woodland habitat management
• Advanced arboricultural machinery
Optional Additional Qualifications
• Tree climbing and aerial rescue
• Chainsaw maintenance and crosscutting
• Tree felling
• Stump grinders
• Mobile Elevated Work Platforms (MEWP)
What grades will I need?
Five GCSEs including Science, with Maths and English at grade C/4 or Level 2 at Merit level.
Mature students may be considered with alternative qualifications or experience.
You must be aged 17 or over at the start of the course due to age restrictions on chainsaw use.
What can I study next?
• FdSc/BSc in Arboriculture
• Arboricultural Association Technician’s Certificate
• Level 6 Arboriculture
• Tree Surveyor
• Conservation work
• Arboretum/woodland/estate work