What will I learn?
If you have a head for heights, then this course could be for you. While being taught by industry and academic experts, you’ll develop the practical skills and underpinning knowledge needed to go into the arboriculture industry or Higher Education. You’ll perfect your skills in our extremely well equipped on-site arboriculture and forestry department, as well as a variety of local off-site facilities, from a private arboretum to Forestry Commission woodland and the New Forest. You’ll also get the opportunity to see guest lectures from leading industry experts
• Principles of plant and soil science
• Tree and shrub pruning and maintenance
• Tree felling and chainsaw use
• Arboricultural skills
• Tree identification
• Pests and diseases of trees
• Advanced arboricultural practices
• Tree surveys and inspections
• Woodland habitat management
• Advanced arboricultural machinery
Optional Additional Qualifications
• Tree climbing and aerial rescue
• Chainsaw maintenance and crosscutting
• Tree felling
• Stump grinders
• Mobile Elevated Work Platforms (MEWP)
What grades will I need?
Five GCSEs including Science, with Maths and English at grade 4 or Level 2 at Merit level plus Maths and English at grade 4.
Mature students may be considered with alternative qualifications or experience.
You must be aged 17 or over at the start of the course due to age restrictions on chainsaw use. There are no exceptions to this rule.
What can I study next?
• FdSc/BSc in Arboriculture
• Level 4 Arboriculture
• Level 6 Arboriculture
This course gives you the UCAS tariff points for entry to university. Complete a full Level 3 qualification with us and we’ll guarantee you an offer of a place on one of our relevant University Centre Sparsholt degree courses. Admissions Terms & Conditions apply – for full details go to Sparsholt.ac.uk/university-centre
• Climbing arborist
• Tree Surveyor
• Conservation work
• Local authority ( assistant tree officer)
• Arboretum/woodland/estate work