What will I learn?
This course has been carefully designed to help you build strong practical skills alongside applied knowledge to maximise your employability. This practical emphasis is reflected in the course content, with units in equitation, husbandry and training, while other units focus on your applied scientific knowledge and business skills.
Using all the resources of our flagship Equine Centre, you will experience riding, running events and shows and completing assignments and research projects. Research projects focus on the management of a commercial sized centre, while external study visits and an international study tour increase industry exposure. Work placements throughout the course complete the picture.
How will I be assessed?
Tutorial support throughout the study will help you to develop your skills and knowledge, using a varied range of assessments, including case studies, seminars and investigative reports with a range of practical sessions.
Where can I go from here?
Many FdSc graduates choose to join the BSc Top-up programme in Equestrian Performance Management. Sparsholt graduates enjoy a range of careers in teaching, livery centres, polo yards, racing and studs, including competition rider, groom, riding instructor, stud worker and racing stable manager.
- Equine Anatomy and Physiology
- The Equine Industry
- Industry Skills
- Work Placement 1
- Equitation and Husbandry
- Principles in Biology
- Academic Skills
- Equitation and Coaching
- Applied Industry Research
- Nutrition and Dietetics
- Work Placement 2
- Equine Health and Welfare
- Equine Business Administration
- Breeding and Stud Management
- A Level Two¬†A Level passes, including a minimum of grade C in a science subject
- BTEC Extended Diploma¬†MMP
- City & Guilds Advanced Technical Ext. Diploma (1080)¬† MMP
- BTEC Diploma¬†MM
- City & Guilds Advanced Technical Extended Diploma (720)¬† MM
- Access to HE¬†A satisfactory pass in a relevant Access course with 45 credits at Level 3¬†with Science units at Merit
- International Baccalaureate¬†Appropriate IB Certificates considered
- Plus GCSE maths and English at grade C/4 or above in Level 2 Functional Skills in Maths and English