What will I learn?
As part of the new AFC Bournemouth Second Chance Elite Programme talented young footballers can develop their footballing potential alongside gaining a national qualification in sport.
All players train at least three times per week and play in a comprehensive match programme. In 2015/16 the Football Academy at Sparsholt ran a total of seven teams competing in the Football Conference Youth Alliance, Sydenhams Football League (Wessex), Hampshire County Youth League (Sunday), and Hampshire Colleges Football Leagues.
We recognise that players develop at different times and as a result have a tiered programme for players of all abilities. Our coaches regularly evaluate performance levels throughout matches and in training, finding the correct level of football for each player to train and play and giving a target to improve individual performance and move into the next tier.
In direct partnership with AFC Bournemouth the AFC Bournemouth (Sparsholt) Second Chance Elite Programme has the fundamental goal of producing professional football players for AFC Bournemouth. Most players in the Elite Tier have had experience of Academy level football and their programme is structured to give the best possible chance to succeed as a professional footballer.
Elite Development Tier
The Elite Development Tier will allow players to compete at the same level as players within the Elite Tier, with genuine opportunity for players to improve and progress. Players within the development tier will benefit from an extremely competitive environment involving all key aspects a footballer needs to improve their performance.
This programme allows players to train in a high quality, competitive environment and play at the highest level of college football in Hampshire. There are opportunities for players to progress into the Elite Development Tier and to attach to external clubs for weekend football to develop further.
Most of our Tier 2 players will take part in college football as well as gaining all the benefits of a full time training environment.
Tier 3 is designed for players that enjoy football within a less competitive environment. Training is still full-time but slightly more relaxed and will allow less experienced players an opportunity to have fun and improve.
Club Links and Opportunities
AFC Bournemouth (Sparsholt) Second Chance Elite Programme
The AFC Bournemouth (Sparsholt) Second Chance Elite Program is the highest level of football on offer at Sparsholt. This 20-man squad is directly linked to AFC Bournemouth and players enjoy a range of benefits including
- Taking part in training lead by high quality AFC Bournemouth Coaches
- Visiting AFC Bournemouth’s training ground to participate in training
- Regular performance monitoring from Sparsholt College Staff
- Feedback to AFC Bournemouth regarding progress
- Opportunity to play matches against AFC Bournemouth Academy
- Take part in matches as AFC Bournemouth (Sparsholt) in the National Football Youth League (U19)
Andover Town FC
Players will have the opportunity to play senior football at Andover Town FC. The club is run by the College and plays Wessex League football at the Portway Stadium in Andover. This gives senior opportunities for our second year players as well as a progression route at the end of the programme.
• Level 2 – essential background knowledge and practical aspects of sport and recreation assistants
• Level 3 – technical and tactical skills in sport, sports psychology, talent identification and development in sport, analysis of sports performance, training and fitness programming, nutrition and sport performance
What grades will I need?
Level 3 Extended Diploma
• Five GCSEs at grade C/4 or above, Maths and English at grade C/4 or Level 2 Diploma at Merit level
Level 2 Diploma
• Four GCSEs at grade D/3 or above, Maths and English at grade D/3 or Level 1 Diploma
What can I study next?
• FdSc or BSc in a sport or fitness related field
• Advanced Apprenticeship in Sports Coaching
• Professional and semi-professional football player
• Football coaching
• Employment in sports and/or leisure
Optional Additional Qualifications
• FA Level 1 Certificate in Football Coaching
• Active IQ Level 2 Fitness Instructor
• Fitness Management
• Group Exercise Instructor
You will be required to work towards Maths or English GCSE if you do not have a grade C/4 or above.