What will I learn?
You’ll benefit from carrying out tree planting, woodland maintenance operations, habitat management and timber felling and harvesting at various local sites, as well as using the College’s many facilities, including a sawmill.
• Work related experience in the land-based industries
• Environmental and land-based business
• Disposal of wood arisings and residues from work on trees-chippers and stump grinders
• Establish trees and shrubs
• Identify and select trees and shrubs
• Felling and extraction of timber from woodlands
• Understand and carry out silviculture and habitat management
• Undertake tree felling operations
Optional Additional Qualifications
• NPTC Certificates of Competence
• Chainsaw maintenance and crosscutting
• Small tree felling
• Powered pole pruner
• Stump grinder
What grades will I need?
Four GCSEs including Maths and English at grade D/3 or above or relevant Level 1 qualification. You must also be physically fit and aged 17 or over at the start of the course due to age restrictions on chainsaw use.
What can I study next?
• Level 3 in Forestry
• Contracting companies
• Utility contracting
• Local authorities
• Conservation work