What will I learn?
You’ll benefit from carrying out tree planting, woodland maintenance operations, habitat management and timber felling and harvesting at various local sites, as well as using the College’s many facilities, including a sawmill.
• Work related experience in the land-based industries
• Environmental and land-based business
• Disposal of wood arisings and residues from work on trees-chippers and stump grinders
• Establish trees and shrubs
• Identify and select trees and shrubs
• Felling and extraction of timber from woodlands
• Understand and carry out silviculture and habitat management
• Undertake tree felling operations
Possible Additional Qualifications
• NPTC Certificates of Competence
What grades will I need?
Four GCSEs at grade D/3 or above including Maths and English/relevant Level 1 qualification. You must also be physically fit and aged 17 or over at the start of the course due to age restrictions on chainsaw use.
Where will it lead me?
- Level 3 in Forestry
- Contracting companies
- Utility contracting
- Local authorities
- Conservation work