What will I learn?
Our students have enormous opportunities open to them and take part in and contribute to high profile shows and competitions wherever possible around curriculum and examination tables. Previous experiences include WorldSkills Landscaping, RHS Chelsea Flower Show and the Young Horticulturalist of the Year.
This course will help you develop the skills, knowledge and understanding needed for progression into the horticulture industry. You will cover aspects of landscaping, amenity and commercial horticulture as well as taking part in 150 hours external placement to develop contacts and gain experience.
Throughout the year may visit RHS Garden Wisley, National Trust gardens such as Stourhead and local enterprises to immerse yourself in the horticulture industry.
You will also be invited to complete optional additional NPTC qualifications where necessary.
• Plant and soil science
• Horticultural business management
• Ornamental plant identification
• Horticultural machinery operation and maintenance
• Construct and maintain decking and fencing
• Plant propagation and care
• Principles of sustainable development and ecology
• Construct and restore walls
• Principles and practices of landscape and garden design
What grades will I need?
Five GCSEs including Science, with Maths and English at grade 4 or Level 2 Horticulture at Merit level with GCSE English and Maths grade 2 or above.
Mature students may be considered with alternative qualifications or experience.
What can I study next?
• FdSc and BSc courses in Horticulture, Landscape Architecture and Garden Design
This course will give you the UCAS tariff points for entry to university. Complete a full Level 3 qualification with us and we’ll guarantee you an offer of a place on one of our relevant University Centre Sparsholt degree courses. Admissions Terms & Conditions apply – for full details go to Sparsholt.ac.uk/university-centre
• Amenity horticulture
• Garden design
• Commercial production
• Hard or soft landscaping
• Botanic and heritage gardening
• Science and research
• Therapeutic or social gardening
Optional Additional Qualifications
• Level 2 Certificate of Competence in Pedestrian Controlled Mowers
• Level 2 Certificate of Competence in the Safe Use of Hedge Trimmers
• Level 2 Certificate of Competence in the Safe Use of Ride on Mowers
• Level 2 Certificate of Competence in the Safe Use of Pesticides