What does the qualification cover?
The NEBOSH National General Certificate covers the following:-
- Legal requirements for health & safety at work
- Implementation of health & safety management systems
- Identification of workplace hazards and methods of hazard control
- Practical application of knowledge and understanding
The qualification is divided into three units, each of which is assessed separately:
- Unit NGC1 – Management of Health & Safety – a taught unit comprising of 5 elements, assessed by a 2hr written examination
- Unit GC2 – Controlling workplace hazards – a taught unit, comprising of 8 elements, assessed by a 2hr written examination
- Unit GC3 – Health & Safety practical application – assessed by one practical assessment carried out in the candidate’s own workplace
Who is the qualification for?
Managers, supervisors and staff from all types of organisations who need a broad understanding of health and safety issues. The certificate helps manage risks effectively. Many people take the NEBOSH National General Certificate as a first step in a career in health and safety. It provides a valuable overview and is a sound basis for further professional study.
What are the benefits for employers?
Many organisations choose the NEBOSH National General Certificate as a key part of their supervisors or management development programme. By ensuring that line managers have a sound understanding of the principles of risk management, they build an effective safety culture in the company. Smaller companies, operating in lower risk environments, often choose NEBOSH National General Certificate as the appropriate qualification for the manager taking the lead on health and safety issues.
- Where possible, both theory and practical work will relate directly to the delegate’s workplace.
- There are no prerequisites for this course although candidates should note that the assessment includes a requirement to write a short report.
- Candidates will be required to attend an informal telephone interview with the Business Skills Advisor prior to booking
- Candidates will need to purchase the book Introduction to Health & Safety at Work by Hughes & Ferrett, (available from Nebosh or any good bookshop).
- Course cost is £1,500.00