What will I learn?
This programme is designed to help candidates develop veterinary nursing knowledge and effective clinical skills, in preparation for the responsibilities of professional registration and veterinary practice. The qualification requires candidates to have access to a RCVS registered Veterinary Training Practice, where they are in paid employment either in a part-time or full-time basis. Apprenticeship funding is available.
– Anatomy and physiology
– Welfare, health and husbandry for veterinary nursing
– Operational requirements for professional relationships
– Essential nursing care and infection control in veterinary practice
– Anaesthesia and critical care support
What grades will I need?
Five GCSEs at grade C or above including English, maths and science or a Level 2 Intermediate Apprenticeship – Nursing Assistant in a Veterinary Environment (VCA) or equivalent.
You will need to be in full time employment with a registered and approved training practice. For details of approved training practices please see the RCVS website or contact us on 01962 776 441 for more details.
Where will it lead me?
– Higher Education Level such as post-professional registration degree programmes
– RCVS post-qualification Diploma in Advanced Veterinary Nursing framework
– Veterinary nursing in general practice
– Veterinary nursing in a specialist or referral practice
– Animal health and conservation (UK or overseas)
– Work within education at a specialist further education college or through an organisation such as BVNA or RCVS
– Insurance for animal health companies
– Work for organisations such as Defra, Lantra and a variety of charities such as the RSPCA, PDSA and the Blue Cross