What will I learn?
This programme is designed to help you develop veterinary nursing knowledge and effective clinical skills in preparation for the responsibilities of professional registration and veterinary practice. This course will require you to be in full-time paid employment with a registered and approved training practice. For details of approved training practices please see the RCVS website or contact us on 01962 776441 for more details.
• Anatomy and physiology
• Welfare, health and husbandry for veterinary nursing
• Operational requirements for professional relationships
• Essential nursing care and infection control in veterinary practice
• Anaesthesia and critical care support
What grades will I need?
• Five GCSEs including Science, with Maths and English at grade C/4 or Level 2 Intermediate Apprenticeship. Nursing Assistant in a Veterinary Environment (VCA) or equivalent. Full-time paid employment as detailed.
What can I study next?
• Higher Education such as post-professional registration degree programmes
• RCVS post-qualification Diploma in Advanced Veterinary Nursing framework
• Veterinary nursing in general practice
• Veterinary nursing in a specialist or referral practice
• Animal health and conservation (UK or overseas)
• Work within education at a specialist Further Education college or through an organisation such as BVNA or RCVS
• Insurance for animal health companies
• Work for organisations such as DEFRA, LANTRA and a variety of charities such as the RSPCA, PDSA and the Blue Cross