What will I learn?
This course will give you a practical introduction to horticulture, allowing you to learn and develop the skills needed for employment within the in industry. Plant identification and science is introduced gradually over the year allowing you to develop knowledge, ready to progress on to level 2. A range of visits to support the curriculum will be arranged over the year including Sir Harold Hillier Gardens, AFC Bournemouth and National Trust Gardens.
- Safe working practices
- Planting, establishing and maintaining plants outdoors
- Maintaining grass
- Operating machinery
- Paving and timber construction
Optional Additional Qualifications
• Employment Practical Horticulture Skills
• Functional Skills in English and Maths/GCSE in English and Maths
What grades will I need?
GCSEs at grade D-E/3-1 or above/successful completion of an Entry Level course.
What can I study next?
• Level 2 in Horticulture
• Level 2 Apprenticeship in Horticulture
• Amenity horticulture
• Garden centres