BSc Zoo Biology and FdSc Applied Zoo Science Course tutor
I am a lecturer on Sparsholt’s BSc/FdSc Animal Management and Zoo Biology degrees and teach on topics including genetics, behaviour and zoo animal husbandry. Prior to lecturing at Sparsholt, I gained experience at ZSL London and Whipsnade zoos, and Beale Wildlife Park. I have developed strong links with several zoo collections, have an MSc in Wild Animal Biology from the Royal Veterinary College, London, i am also a fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA) . My previous research has covered a range of zoo species including flamingos and invertebrates, and more recently, coatis, parrots and pelicans.
As part of my role at Sparsholt I supervise third-year dissertation projects, particularly those covering the behaviour and biology of exotic vertebrates. University Centre Sparsholt regularly take student work to present at conferences and recent graduates have presented at both the EAZA nutrition conference and the BIAZA research conference.
- Brereton, J. E. (2020). Directions in animal enclosure use studies. Journal of Zoo and Aquarium Research. 8(1) , 1-9. https://jzar.org/jzar/article/view/330
- Rose, P. E., Scales, J. S., & Brereton, J. E. (2020). Why the “Visitor Effect” Is Complicated. Unraveling Individual Animal, Visitor Number, and Climatic Influences on Behavior, Space Use and Interactions With Keepers—A Case Study on Captive Hornbills. Frontiers in Veterinary Science, 7, 1-9.
- Brereton, S. R., & Brereton, J. E. Sixty years of collection planning: what species do zoos and aquariums keep?. International Zoo Yearbook, 54, 1-10.
- Rose, P. E., Brereton, J. E., Rowden, L. J., de Figueiredo, R. L., & Riley, L. M. (2019). What’s new from the zoo? An analysis of ten years of zoo-themed research output. Palgrave Communications, 5(1), 1-10.
- Rose, P. E., Brereton, J. E., & Croft, D. P. (2018). Measuring welfare in captive flamingos: Activity patterns and exhibit usage in zoo-housed birds. Applied Animal Behaviour Science, 205, 115-125.
- Shora, J. A., Myhill, M. N. G., Brereton, J. E. (2018). Should zoo foods be coati chopped? Journal of Zoo and Aquarium Research. 6(1), 26-29.
- Rose, P. E., Lloyd, I., Brereton, J. E., & Croft, D. P. (2018). Patterns of nocturnal activity in captive greater flamingos. Zoo biology, 37(5), 290-299.
- Rose, P., Brereton, J. E., & Gardner, L. (2016). Developing flamingo husbandry practices through workshop communication. Journal of Zoo and Aquarium Research. 4(2) 115-121.