At University Centre Sparsholt we have put together just a few frequently asked questions that may help in your decision making. We are adding to this page all the time with more frequently asked questions but If you would like to get in touch regarding the another question, please email


  • Do you offer accommodation?

    Yes – UCS students can apply for accommodation both on-site and in Burma Road (University of Winchester).

    Find out more 



  • Do I have to attend an interview?

    No – for most courses we will make an offer based on your application, your grades and personal statement. Should the tutors want to speak to you, this will be by telephone.

  • Do you accept applications from international students?

    Yes – we welcome applications from all nationalities, currently have students enrolled with us from many countries, e.g. China. Ireland, South Africa. Please contact us if you have a question about your country and any specific entry requirements, email

  • When is the deadline for applications?

    We will consider applications right up to when degree start (subject to spaces being available) in September. We however recommend applying as soon as possible, so you are included in offer holders events and we can keep in touch as we prepare for the start of session.

    Apply Now 


Entry Requirements 

  • I am apply for Veterinary Nursing but i don’t have 5 GCSEs – can I still apply?

    When applying for Veterinary Nursing, It is an RCVS requirement students have 5 GCSE. We may accept equivalents level 2 qualifications – please contact

  • I don’t have GCSE English and/or Maths Do you accept Functional Skills?

    Yes – we will accept Level 2 Functional Skills in lieu of the GCSE English or Maths.

  • I don’t have GCSE Science – can I still apply?

    We may accept equivalent level 2 qualifications or if you have a level 3 or higher qualification in science, we may waive that requirement.

  • I don’t have a level 3 qualification, e.g. A levels, in science or a relevant subject?

    If your qualifications do not meet the requirements, e.g. they are in the arts or social sciences, then you may want to consider doing an Access to HE: Land-based studies. This is a 1 year full-time course designed to bring your skills and knowledge up to the required standard and in your chosen degree at UCS.

  • I don’t meet the minimum entry requirements – what are my options?

    If you don’t quite meet the minimum entry requirements, in terms of grades or subject relevance, we’d recommend looking at our Access to HE (Land-Based Studies).

    This 1 year full-time programme is designed to help students bring their knowledge and skills up to the standard required to study at degree level, and subject to grades may meet the entry requirements for our own degree and that of other institutions.

    For further details see here


Equine Questions 

  • Can I bring my horse to University Centre Sparsholt?

    Yes – the Equine Centre offers industry-accredited facilities, expert staff and a range of livery/stabling options. Your horse would enjoy a modern, well-equipped yard featuring 60+ stables (all with rubber mats and hay bars) and stalls, as well as indoor and outdoor arenas, a horsewalker, weighbridge, hot shower and solarium with infra-red heat lamps, grass rides and cross-country schooling, all set in the beautiful Hampshire countryside.

  • How much riding is involved in the equine course?

    Students spend 2-3 hours per week riding for the practical element of the equitation modules taught in years 1 and 2.

  • What level of riding do I need to join the equine degree?

    It’s recommended you are able to safely control a horse at walk, trot and canter. The equitation modules are marked according to how much your riding progresses through the module.


Fees and Funding

  • Do I have to pay tuition fees?

    If you are a UK national then you may be eligible to apply for student loans to both pay tuition fees and help with living costs. For further information, please see Student Finance England. This includes information for students who may be from Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland or live in the the Channel Islands.

  • What financial support is available to students?

    All our undergraduate and postgraduate courses qualify for student finance available in the form of student loans. Please check your eligibility here

    UCS also offers some additional financial help to students from low income families or low participation areas in the shape of bursaries, find out more 



  • Are there opportunities to volunteer in the Animal Management Centre or Equine Centre thus gain experience?

    Yes – there are sometimes opportunities to help out and work alongside staff in both the AMC or Equine Centre. These opportunities are very much subject to availability and training.

  • Do your degree include work placements?

    All our undergraduate degree course include 2 weeks industrial placement each year, except the FdSc Vet Nursing Science which requires students complete a 52 week work placement in year 2. These placements offer students the opportunity to gain valuable practical experience, as well as build contacts in industry. For details of organisations we work closely with please see industry links. 

  • Do you offer your degree on a part-time or distance learning basis?

    Our postgraduate MSc and our BSc Applied Animal Behaviour (top-up) are offered on a part-time basis. We hope in future to offer more of our degree through distance learning.

  • How many days/hours teaching do your degree involve?

    Our full-time degree (BSc/FdSc) involve 3 days guided learning/teaching, plus independent study. Our Masters degree involve 1-2 days teaching, depending on whether your take the part-/full-time course. Teaching is a delivered through a mix of on-site and on-line lectures, seminars and practical.

  • What are the class sizes on your degree course?

    As a smaller HE Provider students have the benefit of smaller class sizes, i.e. 8-10 on average, so have greater access to teaching staff and ability to communicate with your peers in a small group setting than you may have at larger institutions.

  • What are the term dates?

    Term dates are published here . Dates for the next academic year are usually published by Easter – please check back then.

  • What days will I be attending

    Timetables are dependent on student numbers, and are not usually confirmed until several weeks before a course starts.

  • What hands on experience do your degree offer?

    In addition to practical work, all our degree offer students the opportunity to undertake work experience. This allows students to build on their practical skills and build industry contacts.

    Find out more 

  • What proportion of teaching is each of practical and theory?

    It is different for each course! Normally our students have around a 12 hours of theory and 3 hours of practicals as core per week so around 25% of their time is on practical skills which includes live animal handling (companion and farm), lab skills and IT skills.



  • What transport is available to students not living in Halls?

    The Sparsholt Campus is approximately 10 minute drive from Winchester city centre, which is just over 1 hour from London by train.

    There is ample student parking for students who have their own vehicles, and we offer a range of other options for students who need to use a campus bus or public transport

    Find out more 


Postgraduate Study 

  • Do you offer postgraduate study?

    Yes – we offer an MSc Applied Zoo Biology and an MSc Equine Behaviour, Performance and Training, to students who have completed their BSc and been awarded a 2:2 or above.

    We also collaborate with University of Portsmouth in supporting some of our students who want to study for an MRes.

    Find out more