What will I learn?
This A-Level equivalent course will provide you with the knowledge and skills you will need to work safely in the Land and Wildlife industries. Through a combination of theory and practical field-based sessions you will learn about ecology and conservation, machinery and estate maintenance. In addition, as a Game and Wildlife student you will also be taught by industry experts covering subjects such as game and deer management, firearms and pest and predator control via both practical and theoretical teaching.
Off-site practical’s, external speakers and industry visits will also give you the opportunity to develop valuable industry contacts.
You’ll also be expected to undertake work placements on sporting estates, giving you the opportunity to build your industry and employment contacts.
Firearms will be supplied when necessary, for practical training and assessment. There is no facility to store personal firearms onsite.
- Habitat management and estate maintenance
- Shoot management and firearm use
- Machinery operation and maintenance
- Deer management and stalking
- Game bird rearing and production
- Pest and predator control
- Wildlife ecology and conservation
What grades will I need?
English and Maths GCSE at grade 4 plus three other GCSEs at 4 or Level 2 at Merit with Maths and English at grade 4.
What can I study next?
- Wildlife and Conservation Management
- Rural land / Property Management
- Level 4 Apprenticeships such as Countryside Ranger
- Degree Courses such as Wildlife Ecology and Conservation
This course gives you the UCAS tariff points for entry to university. Complete a full Level 3 with us and we’ll guarantee you an offer of a place on one of our University Centre Sparsholt Degree Courses. Admission Terms & Conditions apply.
• Underkeeper or beatkeeper working on a sporting estate
• Wildlife ranger with the Forestry Commission
• Deer manager
Optional Additional Qualifications
- Chainsaw and Brushcutter use
- All Terrain Vehicle Handling (Quad bikes)
- Award in Wild Game Meat Hygiene
- Deer Stalking Certificate Level 1