What will I learn?
During this course you’ll develop basic practical skills and receive an introduction and insight into the land-based industries (including gamekeeping and fisheries). You will also develop basic estate and habitat management skills and will learn about how to look after game birds, fish and other wildlife.
The course is very practical and involves working on the college estate and at the Game and Wildlife Centre. You’ll learn how to operate different types of machinery, power and hand tools. You will also look at topics relating to your specific area of interest, either gamekeeping or fisheries management.
- Working in the Land-based sector
- Animal husbandry (Game and Fish)
- Animal welfare (Game and Fish)
- Working with Land-based machinery
- Developing practical estate maintenance skills
- Maintaining Sports Fisheries
- Aquatic Environments
- Health and Safety
- Personal and Organisational Skills
- Maths and English skills
What grades will I need?
GCSEs at grade 3-1 or above, plus a good reference from your school or college.
What can I study next?
• Level 2 Technical Certificate in Land and Wildlife (Game) or (Fish) or (Countryside)
• Level 2 Apprenticeship in Gamekeeping
Progression to Level 2 courses with career pathways:
- Assistant keeper
- Game farm assistant
- Conservation worker/volunteer
- Estate worker
- Assistant river keeper
- Fisheries worker
- Assistant working in an aquarium/aquarium retail
You will be required to work towards Maths or English GCSE if you do not have a grade C/4 or above.