What will I learn?
This is a career-focused qualification with industry endorsement and accreditation, most notably from the Institute for Outdoor Learning (IOL), which will allow you to enter employment directly into the outdoor activities sector. Throughout the course you will learn both water-based and land-based sporting disciplines, where you will master the practical skills, application and theories of climbing, mountain biking, kayaking and canoeing, amongst others.
Your first year of study will develop the personal skills required for water-based and land-based sports, to include a strong focus on health and safety factors involved in outdoor learning. The second year focuses on the applied leadership aspect of each sport, instructing participant groups from local secondary schools. Practical industry experience is essential and in the second year you will carry out an extended industry work placement on a seasonal paid contract as an Assistant Instructor, potentially leading to further training and employment.
As part of the course you will take part in trips and expeditions to North Wales, South Wales and Dartmoor, using our fleet of canoes, kayaks and mountain bikes.
- Careers in the Sports and Active Leisure Industry
- Health, Wellbeing and Sport
- Personal Skills Development in Outdoor Activities
- Applied Leadership and Instructing Outdoor Activities
- Health and Safety Factors in Outdoor Learning
- Outdoor Activity Provision
- Expedition Experience
- Impacts and sustainability of outdoor activities
- Organising events in sport and physical activities
What grades will I need?
Five GCSEs including Maths and English at grade 4/C or Level 2 at Merit level plus GCSE or Functional Skills Level 2 in English and Maths.
What can I study next?
Study at University at FdSc or BA(Hons) BSc Level. Popular degree choices;
- Adventure Education and Facilitation
- Outdoor and Adventure Education
- Leisure Management
- Outdoor Adventure and Environment
- Water Sports Management
- Outdoor Adventure Leadership and Management
- Sports Coaching and Development
Optional Additional Qualifications
- British Canoe Paddle Sport Instructor
- Mountaineering Training Climbing Wall instructor (*Training)
- RYA Power boat level 2 off-shore
- Emergency First Aid
- NICAS Level 1-2
- British Canoe Paddle Explore
- Foundation Safety Rescue Training
*Additional fees may apply – contact us for more details
- Assistant Outdoor Activities Instructor
- Outdoor Activities Instructor
- Centre Manager
- Water Sports Instructor
- Paddle Sport Instructor