What will I learn?
If you enjoy practical work in a rural setting and have a keen interest in nature conservation this course will give you a range of countryside skills, as well as you with the foundation knowledge needed to work in the countryside or progress to the Level 3 course.
You’ll be introduced to a range of UK habitats including woodlands, heathlands, grasslands and wetlands and will gain first-hand experience of managing these different environments for the benefit of wildlife and people. As a Sparsholt student you’ll also benefit from our lecturers’ strong links with conservation organisations.
• Conservation and improvement of British habitats
• Estate maintenance/ practical skills
• Working in the land and wildlife industry
• Work experience
• Species identification and survey techniques
• Environmental conservation of flora and fauna
• Countryside Interpretation and Recreation
Optional Additional Qualifications
• Maths or English GCSE if not held at grade C/4
What grades will I need?
English and Maths GCSEs at Grade D/3, plus two other GCSEs at grade D/3, or Level 1 in a relevant subject plus a good school or college reference.
What can I study next?
• Level 2 Apprenticeship in Environmental Conservation
• Level 3 in Conservation and Wildlife Management
• Assistant warden/ countryside ranger
• Countryside recreation assistant
• Practical Habitat/ Estate worker
• Conservation Volunteering/ Internships