What will I learn?
By studying this course you will learn about the British countryside and how to safely manage a range of UK habitats for wildlife (including game and fish species). Through practical teaching you will learn the basics of estate maintenance and land-based machinery. This will give you the foundation knowledge needed to work in the countryside or progress to the Level 3 Land and Wildlife course.
You’ll be introduced to a range of UK habitats, surveying plants and animals and will gain first-hand experience of managing these different environments for the benefit of wildlife and people. As a Sparsholt student you’ll also benefit from our lecturers’ strong links with conservation organisations.
- Conservation and improvement of British habitats
- Estate maintenance/practical skills
- Working in the land and wildlife industry
- Work experience
- Species identification and survey techniques
- Environmental conservation of flora and fauna
- Countryside Interpretation and Recreation
What grades will I need?
English and Maths GCSEs at Grade 3, plus two other GCSEs at grade 3, or Level 1 in a relevant subject plus a good school orcollege reference
What can I study next?
- Level 2 Apprenticeship in Environmental Conservation
- Level 3 Advanced Technical Diploma Land and Wildlife Management (Countryside)
- Assistant warden/countryside ranger
- Countryside recreation assistant
- Practical Habitat/Estate worker
- Conservation Volunteering/Internships
Optional Additional Qualifications
• Maths or English GCSE if not held at grade C/4