What will I learn?
This A-Level equivalent course will provide you with the knowledge and skills you will need to work safely in the Land and Wildlife industries. Through a combination of theory and practical field-based sessions you will learn about the core subjects of ecology and conservation, machinery and estate maintenance. In addition, as a Fisheries student you will also be taught by industry experts covering fishery management; including stillwater and rivers, the angling industry or aquatics management, aquarium systems and exotic animal husbandry. Off-site practicals, external speakers and industry visits will also give you the opportunity to develop valuable industry contacts.
You’ll also be expected to undertake a work placements within the fishing/fisheries sector giving you the opportunity to build your industry and employment contacts.
• Fish biology and the science of water quality
• Fish farming and breeding
• Pond design, installation and maintenance
• Environmental management and maintenance
• Sport Fishery Management
• Industry experience
Optional Additional Qualifications
• Tractor Driving
• Chainsaw Use
• Fishery and Aquatics Industry Skills
• Angling Coaching Award
You will be required to work towards Maths or English GCSE if you do not have a grade C/4 or above.
What grades will I need?
English and Maths GCSE at grade 4, plus three other GCSEs at grade 4 or a Merit grade at Level 2 with Maths and English at grade 4.
What can I study next?
• FdSc in Sport Fisheries and Aquaculture or Marine Ecology and Conservation
• BSc (Hons) in Aquaculture and Fishery Management, Marine Biology, Aquatic Biology or Aquatic Zoology
This course gives you UCAS tariff points for entry to university. Complete a full Level 3 qualification with us and we’ll guarantee you an offer of a place on one of our relevant University Centre Sparsholt degree courses. Admissions Terms & Conditions apply – for full details go to Sparsholt.ac.uk/university-centre
• Assistant fishery or fish farm manager
• Environment Agency technician
• River keeper
• Tackle and bait retail and manufacturing
• Angling Coach
• Pond design and building
• Aquatic retail industry
• Research and conservation