What will I learn?
Your first year will develop the personal skills needed before you focus on the leadership aspect of each sport. Practical industry experience is essential and in the second year you’ll carry out work experience on a seasonal paid contract as an Assistant Instructor, potentially leading to further training and employment.
As part of the course you’ll take part in trips and expeditions to North Wales, South Wales and Dartmoor, using our fleet of canoes, kayaks and mountain bikes.
• Land and water based skills
• Land and water based leadership
• Expedition skills
• Outdoor and adventure activities
• Impact and sustainability in outdoor adventure
• Equipment and facilities for outdoor and adventure activities
• Principles and practices in outdoor adventure
• Alternative pursuits
• Current issues in sport
What grades will I need?
Five GCSEs at grade C/4 including Maths and English at grade C/4 or Level 2 at Merit level with Level 2 English.
What can I study next?
• BSc or FdSc courses in Adventure Education and Facilitation, Leisure Management, Watersports Management or Sports Coaching
• Sports, leisure or outdoor industries
• Outdoor activity/education centres
Optional Additional Qualifications
• NICAS (National Indoor Climbing Award Scheme) Level 1, 2 and 3
• CWI (Climbing Wall Instructor) Training*
• British Canoe 1 Star, 2 Star, 3 Star Personal Awards
• Paddle sport Instructor
• FSRT (Foundation Safety and Rescue Training)
• First Aid Certificate
* Additional fees may apply- contact us for more details