As a Veterinary Nursing Team we want to provide a cost effective and relevant service to the local areas to enable all Veterinary Professionals to complete their required CPD hours at a more convenient time and reasonable distance.
Our CPD events are held at Westley Court at the top of Sparsholt Campus and parking is available just outside. Each event will be clearly signposted from the Sparsholt College drive.
We are taking on board feedback given from our Veterinary CPD and Clinical coach events we are having here at Sparsholt and would welcome and further suggestions of events or topics you would like us to provide.
Current dates for IDEXX course sold out. New dates for July coming soon!
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any queries
Veterinary Nursing - Laboratory Training Course IDEXX
Day 1 Parasites – Skin and Faecal- Thursday 23rd February 13:00-17:00 – SOLD OUT
Day 2 Haematology & Urinalysis – Friday 24th February 09:15-16:00 – SOLD OUT
July dates coming soon, details available soon!
Day 1 cost £45 + VAT
Day 2 cost £130 + VAT
Sparsholt College Laboratories
IDEXX Laboratory Training Course
These courses are based on the syllabus for the Laboratory section of the Level 3 Diploma in Veterinary Nursing. It is a practical based course and you will be provided with comprehensive course notes and study aids to support the practical skills.
Day 1 – Parasites – Skin and faecal
- Understand how to collect and prepare faeces and hair specimens for microbiology
- Basic microbiology techniques including the examination of urine samples, the recognition of simple cultures, preparation and staining of slides for the identification of bacteria
- The examination of hair and skin samples for parasites, bacteria and fungi
- The examination of faeces for parasites
Day 2 – Haematology & Urinanalysis
- Understand how to collect and prepare blood specimens for haematology
- Understand how to collect and prepare urine
- The preparation and use of a microscope
- Basic microscopy techniques including the identification of WBC, RBC and platelets including individual white cell lines and mature RBC, the preparation and staining of good quality blood smears for morphological examination
- Generation of PCV results using microhaematocrit tubes
- The preparation and examination of a reticulocyte count
Your course tutor
I (Samantha Tanfield RVN A1 Cert Edworked as a RVN) worked in mixed practices from 1998 – 2010, and during that time became responsible for training vet nurses during their Level 3 VN Training. I then went on to teach Animal Management at Bishop Burton College, and later becoming the course manager for the Level 3 Vet Nursing programme there. I now work for IDEXX Laboratories as the Vet Nurse Trainer for the UK, offering training on in-practice lab techniques.
To book, please complete the form below.