What will I learn?
If you are interested in working in the trees and timber sector, then this course could be for you. Taught by industry and academic experts, you’ll develop the practical skills and underpinning knowledge needed to go into the arboriculture industry or higher level courses.
You will gain an understanding of the skills and knowledge that are important when you are working in a tree work setting, via an extremely well equipped on-site arboriculture and forestry department, as well as a variety of local off site facilities – from a private arboretum to Forestry Commission woodland and the New Forest.
• Working in a forestry or arboriculture related business
• Health and Safety for the land-based industries
• tools and equipment
• Environment and conservation
• Introduction to plant science
• Tree classification and identification
• Tree establishment
• Tree and woodland management
Optional Additional Qualifications
• Chainsaw Maintenance and Crosscutting
• Small Tree Felling
• Climb a tree and perform Aerial Rescue
• Powered Pole Pruner
• Use of chainsaw from a Rope and Harness
• Mobile Elevated Work Platform (MEWP)
• Stump grinder
What grades will I need?
Four GCSEs at grade D/3 or above including Maths and English at Grade D/3 or relevant Level 1 qualification.
You must be physically fit and aged 17 or over at the start of the course due to age restrictions on chainsaw use. There are no exceptions to this rule.
What can I study next?
• Level 3 in Arboriculture or Forestry
• Climber or trainee climber
• Utilities work