What will I learn?
You’ll enjoy practical and theory sessions to learn how to handle a variety of horses, develop your riding and husbandry skills and broaden your knowledge of subjects such as horse biology. During the course you’ll visit a range of equine businesses, a study tour Brecon Beacons and take part in trips to international events such as Olympia, Badminton, and Blenheim, helping you to gain a real insight into the industry.
If you are not a confident rider or do not wish to ride, a non-riding option is also available.
This qualification covers the skills you will need to progress to further learning and training, or to enter the world of work in the equine industry.
- Health and safety for the land-based industries
- Equine health and welfare
- Working in the equine industry
- Horse tack and equipment
- Undertake routine stable duties
- The principles of feeding and watering horses
- Horse handling and grooming
- Introduction to lungeing horses
- Introduction to equine anatomy and physiology
- Riding horses under supervision (Ride Unit)
- Assisting with the transportation of horses (Non Ride Unit)
What grades will I need?
Four GCSEs including Maths and English at grade 3 or a Level 1 qualification plus GCSE English and Maths at a 3 or Functional Skill L1 English and Maths.
If you wish to pursue a Riding Pathway, we will need to see and assess your riding, this will be done via a riding assessment that you will be invited into college to complete which we will use to confirm the most appropriate pathway for you.
What can I study next?
• Level 3 Equine Studies
• Competition groom
• Yard assistant
• Stud worker
• Ride Leader
• Racing Industry
• Farrier Apprentice
• Saddler Apprentice
• Coach (with BHS Qualifications)
Optional Additional Qualifications
- British Horse Society Progressive Riding Tests L1 – 6
- British Horse Society Riding Certificate of Competence
- British Horse Society Stage qualifications – see www.bhs.org.uk for more information
- Young Equestrian Leaders Award
- Maths or English GCSE if not held at grade C/4