What will I learn?
Regular off-site practicals, external industry speakers and industry visits all give you the opportunity to develop valuable industry contacts. This course includes a three-week block of industry based placements each year and a specialist end of year trip to reward progress and achievement.
You’ll be taught by many of the leading experts in the fishery industry and will study core units and optional pathways in areas such as fishery management; including stillwater and rivers, the angling industry or aquatics management, aquarium systems and exotic animal husbandry.
• Fish biology and the science of water quality
• Fish farming and breeding
• Pond design, installation and maintenance
• Environmental management and maintenance
• Industry experience
Optional Additional Qualifications
• Tractor Driving
• Chainsaw Use
• Fishery and Aquatics Industry Skills
• Angling Coaching Award
You will be required to work towards Maths or English GCSE if you do not have a grade C/4 or above.
What grades will I need?
One year course: English or Maths GCSEs at grade C/4 plus three other GCSEs at grade C/4 or Level 2 at Merit level.
Two year course: English and Maths GCSEs at grade C/4 plus three other GCSEs at grade C/4 or Level 2 at Merit level.
What can I study next?
• FdSc in Sport Fisheries and Aquaculture or Marine Ecology and Conservation
• BSc (Hons) in Aquaculture and Fishery Management, Marine Biology, Aquatic Biology or Aquatic Zoology
• Assistant fishery or fish farm manager
• Environment Agency technician
• River keeper
• Tackle and bait retail and manufacturing
• Angling Coach
• Pond design and building
• Aquatic retail industry
• Research and conservation