What will I learn?
If you perform better practically than academically then this could be the course for you. The majority of you learning will take place at the Animal Health and Welfare Research Centre, and you will complete tasks and build a portfolio of evidence with photograph and candidate reports. This is complimented with some time in theory lessons where you consolidate your learning and build up your understanding of theory shown through various tasks that also help to build your portfolio.
- Safety of self and others
- Care of animals
- Dealing with animal accommodation
- Dealing with feedstuffs for small animals
- Principles of transporting supplies of physical resources within the work area
- Principles of maintaining structures and surfaces
- Principles of the maintenance of equipment
- Cleanliness and bio security of the animal care working environment
- Controlled exercise opportunities for animals
It is expected that learners will have function skills qualifications or Entry 3.
What can I study next?
Level 2 in Animal Care
- Kennel or cattery worker
- Dog walker
- Pet shop assistant
- Animal care assistant