What will I learn?
You’ll perfect your skills in the extremely well equipped on-site arboriculture and forestry department, as well as a variety of local off site facilities, from a private arboretum to Forestry Commission woodland and the New Forest. You’ll also have the opportunity to see harvesting equipment and sawmills in action.
• Work related experience in the land-based industries
• Environmental and land-based business
• Disposal of wood arisings and residues from work on trees, chippers and stump grinders
• Establish trees and shrubs
• Identify and select trees and shrubs
• Carry out ground-based arboricultural operations
• Tree felling
• Tree climbing and pruning
Possible Additional Qualifications
• Chainsaw maintenance and crosscutting
• Small tree felling
• Climb a tree and perform aerial rescue
• Powered pole pruner
• Use of chainsaw from a rope and harness
• Mobile Elevated Work Platform (MEWP)
• Stump grinder
What grades will I need?
Four GCSEs at grade D/3 or above including Maths and English/relevant Level 1 qualification. You must be physically fit and aged 17 or over at the start of the course due to age restrictions on chainsaw use.
Where will it lead me?
• Level 3 in Arboriculture