What will I learn?
This 18-unit course will give you the skills, knowledge and practical understanding to progress into employment or higher level study at university – from dedicated animal husbandry roles to volunteer conservation placements abroad and a full range of higher education courses including Veterinary Science Degrees.
In the first year you’ll gain a solid foundation in animal science and husbandry before selecting a pathway for your second year. We immerse you in the world of animal studies with a host of industry guests and speakers, as well as visits to zoological parks and specialist veterinary and conservation centres. You may also have the opportunity to attend residential study tours both in the UK and South Africa. Working with wild animals – whether tracking rhinoceros or working on large cat breeding programmes – gives Sparsholt students an unforgettable experience, as well as valuable industry contacts.
- Animal Health & Husbandry
- Animal Feeding & Nutrition
- Animal Behaviour & Communication
- Animal Welfare & Breeding
- Biological Systems of Animals
- Exotics Health & Husbandry
- Small Animal Rehabilitation
- Business Management
Zoo Pathway units include: Zoological Collections, Animal Training, Farm, Aquatics & Avian
Animal Management Pathway units include: Wildlife, Pet Store, Animal Nursing and Kennel & Cattery
Science Pathway units include: Fundamentals of Science, Cell Biology & Genetics, Wildlife Ecology and Biochemistry & Microbiology
What grades will I need?
Five GCSEs including Science, Maths and English at Grade 4 or above or Level 2 in Animal Care with Biology and Health units at Merit level and Maths and English at grade 4 or above.
What can I study next?
- Animal Science, Behaviour and Conservation at FdSc or BSc level
- Zoology at BSc level
- Apprenticeship in Veterinary Nursing
- Veterinary and Bio-Veterinary Sciences
- Veterinary Nursing BSc
This course gives you UCAS tariff points for entry to university. Complete a full Level 3 qualification with us and we’ll guarantee you an offer of a place on one of our relevant University Centre Sparsholt degree courses. Admissions Terms & Conditions apply – for full details go to Sparsholt.ac.uk/university-centre
- Veterinary Nurse or Assistant
- Pet retail including specialist outlets
- Kennels and catteries
- Grooming and hydrotherapy
- Animal rescue centres (wild and domestic)
- Animal training and behaviour
- Keeper or Education Officer in animal collections
- Veterinary sciences
- Animal Conservation