What will I learn?
In the first year you’ll gain a solid foundation in animal science and husbandry before selecting a pathway for your second year. There are three pathway options in Year 2; Zoo, Animal Management & Science. Some higher education courses will require the Science pathway.
We hope to be able to offer the opportunity to attend residential study tours both in the UK and South Africa, giving you the chance to work with wild animals as well as making valuable industry contacts.
- Animal Health & Husbandry
- Animal Feeding & Nutrition
- Animal Behaviour & Communication
- Animal Welfare & Breeding
- Biological Systems of Animals
- Exotics Health & Husbandry
- Small Animal Rehabilitation
- Business Management
Zoo Pathway units include: Zoological Collections, Animal Training, Farm, Aquatics & Avian
Animal Management Pathway units include: Wildlife, Pet Store, Animal Nursing and Kennel & Cattery
Science Pathway units include: Fundamentals of Science, Cell Biology & Genetics, Wildlife Ecology and Biochemistry & Microbiology
What grades will I need?
Five GCSEs at Grade 4 or above to include Maths, English and Science or Level 2 qualification in Animal Care with Biology and Health units at distinction level and Maths and English GCSEs at grade 4 or above.
What can I study next?
- Animal Science, Behaviour and Conservation at FdSc or BSc level
- Zoology at BSc level
- Apprenticeship in Veterinary Nursing
- Veterinary and Bio-Veterinary Sciences
- Veterinary Nursing BSc
This course gives you UCAS tariff points for entry to university. Complete a full Level 3 qualification with us and we’ll guarantee you an offer of a place on one of our relevant University Centre Sparsholt degree courses. Admissions Terms & Conditions apply – for full details go to Sparsholt.ac.uk/university-centre
- Veterinary Nurse or Assistant
- Pet retail including specialist outlets
- Kennels and catteries
- Grooming and hydrotherapy
- Animal rescue centres (wild and domestic)
- Animal training and behaviour
- Keeper or Education Officer in animal collections
- Veterinary sciences
- Animal Conservation
- Keeper or Education Officer